Wednesday 10 August 2011

Swift Half update - 10th August 2011

  • Yet again, its been a while since I posted this - so here's a little update, just days before we go on holiday and a day or two before I write a big piece on all the wildlife adventures we've had at this marvellous house and garden (we move to a "new town") at the beginning of Sept - and leave "Swift Half" for good.
  • Firstly - on having a coffee and a cig in the garden after work today I am pleased to say that I saw SEVEN swifts heading WSW at about 17:30. Most swifts have already left our shores, bound for the Congo (and area) - so it was lovely to see my favourite birds (after a week plus without seeing any). It always makes me very sad when the swifts leave us - and I guess these will be the last I see in Blighty, before I catch up with them again (with any luck) on the continent...
  • The sunflowers are still flowering. In fact the largest (neighbourhood prize winning) flower has produced another half dozen heads - which will probably flower whilst we're on holiday (a leaving present for our neighbours if you like!)
  • One white valerian plant is still doing well, but the hens have trashed the sage and other flowers.
  • I cleared out the pond last night and its clear that almost all the adult palmate newts have gone, but there are plenty of small baby newts in situ. They'll overwinter in the pond I expect.
  • Damsons dropping all the time now - pears will rot (as always) before they drop.
  • The spostles and hens have had fun killing a baby rat from mr.T's garden over the last couple of days (not before they brought it in the house, where it temporarily escaped behind the fridge!)
  • NB. I'll write a big goodbye to SWIFT HALF and try and get it on this blog before we leave for our holiday, this week....

No comments:

Post a Comment