Saturday 16 April 2011

Swift Half update - 16th April 2011

    Hoppy bird day to me (click twice to enlarge)
  • With no more than a week to go (I hope!) before my beloved birds are back, I thought I'd give a quick update.
  • All the plants (evening primrose, pulmonaria, buddleja, valerian, sunflowers, strawberries and wild meadow flowers) seem to be doing well. I water them each night - we have three sunflowers grown from seed and an inch above ground now, the strawberries have already flowered and the wild meadow flowers (even though I pick a dozen slugs off them each night) have come up pretty well.
  • Blue tits are nesting under the eaves on the west of the house and also (sadly) they have been very insistent on taking possession of the box on the shed. This will only end in tears I'm afraid, because of our cats -which will just sit and watch them - any egg laid will get too cold and any hatchling will starve. I had no idea the tits would take up residence in that box (after two years of not doing so) but should have taken it down anyway. Time will tell.
  • Three frogs in the pond now - what look like two large adult females and one sub-adult male.
  • Thanks to parents in law for a super angle viewer for my camera (enabling me to get very low angle shots on the ground, as in the hoppy bird day photo above, of conker, to celebrate my recent 40th) or from my boat, Mandarin, in the winter. Many thanks also to my brother and sister in law (and their girls) for my excellent ghillie suit - which will enable me to blend into the countryside like a banana in a milkshake...

No comments:

Post a Comment