Saturday 16 April 2011

General (county) news - 16th April 2011

  • I've had a couple of days off the drudgery of work this week, what with it being my 40th birthday n all on Thursday gone - and all the critters in the county are moving at such a pace now, its hard to keep track.
  • Firstly - the weather - its still very warm and settled for mid April - although not quite as hot and sunny as the last two weeks.
  • Secondly - whilst I know cuckoos have arrived, as have many summer visitors such as the warblers etc.... many winter visitors are still here!
  • There are still good numbers of waxwings around - some even seem to be displaying! I don't think waxwings have been recorded breeding in the UK, but I might be wrong. They really should've all buggered off back to Scandanavia by now, alongside their redwing and fieldfare cousins...
  • Bluebells seem to be up early also - maybe a fortnight early - Anna and I will make our annual bluebell pilgrimage in a week or two.
  • Last night Anna and I went off to a wood in south bucks for a spot of badger watching. No badgers - I was a little fidgety (very unlike me) but a tawny owl and a little owl (nice set of hooters then), a big dog fox and a muntjac. All very nice but I'd loved to have seen the badgers! Maybe we'll go back in a month, and see if the little cubs are around?
  • Yesterday my little boat made its maiden voyage. I bought an inflatable craft 6 months ago, with a view to getting water-borne shots of winter ducks (especially goldeneye). I am now licensed, insured and Anna kindly gave me a wee electric outboard motor to power her.
  • We launched her on the (well.... I can't tell you that as I'd have to kill you) secret river - and I'm pleased to say she's watertight and pretty sturdy really. All I need now is a frame over which I can drape my camo netting - and we're ready to rock n roll!
  • Because my boat's maiden voyage took her past (through I suppose) a pair of mandarin ducks on the secret river (lovely to see from such a low vantage point and from their eye level), I have named my wee boat - "Mandarin".
  • I do hope to take her out many times before the winter (Anna and I can both travel in her -she will support us both with ease) - in order for me to be ready for the winter ducks this year - and the photo opportunities they might bring. I'm very excited by this...

No comments:

Post a Comment