Thursday 24 March 2011

Swift Half update - 24th March 2011

  • Our first female tawny mining bee made its presence known to my eagle eyes this afternoon, after work. The bright ginger bee (the female is unmistakeable when you see one) landed on our patio thirty feet away from me (photo above - click twice to enlarge) and even though I was sitting with a 200mm lens on the canon, (instead of the old Panasonic with the macro filter on) I thought I'd take a shot from distance anyway.
  • Our first female feather footed flower bee (photos above, click twice to enlarge) also made an appearance in the garden this afternoon also. My eyes were on bee lookout this afternoon, and I first spotted this wee black beauty (with orange pollen baskets on her rear legs) forty foot away, checking out knot-holes on our decrepit shed. Again, I thought I'd take a few photos anyway. She'll be chased around the garden by half a dozen males from now on - female FFFBs don't half come in from some attention!
  • I've not seen any butterflies since that lone red admiral, over 5 weeks ago, even though this week has been more like may, weather-wise. (Bin locked in the office again you see). BUT today, two small coppers (butterflies) chased each other over my head - so thats a first for the garden this year also. The first adult, (flying) small copper seen in the UK this year was only seen 13 days ago actually, in Lincolnshire.
  • Malu enjoyed his afternoon post-nap stretch on the patio again (photos above). Malu monster - he's a hoot.
  • The damson blossom has suddenly, errrr.... blossomed today - and boy do the newly-emerged bees love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment