Sunday 26 June 2011

General (County) update - 26th June 2011

  • Been a long time since I've posted one of these, so here goes...
  • A mini heatwave has come over the UK today  -  because at last the Azores high has built and pushed the jetstream a few hundred miles north of middle England - rather than slap bang on top of us, where its been for the past two or three weeks. This has pushed the thermometer up to 28c - maybe 30c and brought out all the exotic fauna it seems - or maybe I'm just seeing it at present.
  • I've found a little owl's nest near our new house (we leave Swift Half in August) - and watched two fo the owls (one young, one parent I think) for a good few minutes this morning.
  • Also saw a rose-ringed parakeet fly by the same field - and a buzzard in a tree at the same place also - maybe I'll not miss "Swift Half" as much as I thought?!
  • The dragonflies are out in force now  - more on that on my "Swift Half" update, as are the moffs (ditto).

2 comments:

  1. Do you think little owls are getting more common? Had only ever seen them in France before this year - and then suddenly there are two nests within about 3 miles of each other in our village. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane.
    Maybe they are getting more common, but I do remember seeing many as a lad and none for the past few years - wouldnt surprise me if they're getting more common though - hardy little things I reckon!

    ReplyDelete