Friday 20 May 2011

Swift Half SWIFTS update - Friday 20th May 2011 (one more)

  • I've just uploaded clip number twenty-three to the website, proving that two birds did indeed roost on two eggs last night.
  • Thats the good news.
  • The bad news is that early this morning (before 0600hrs) there was abnormal behaviour in and around the nest again (very unlike our original pair) and once again, those two eggs have been flicked well out of place and out of view of the camera.
  • We have three swifts in the sky outside and one in the roof - but no eggs on show.
  • This makes me think that we do indeed have a "new pair" of birds which are now in charge of the roof- and makes me a little more hopeful that this pair might lay eggs of their own? Last year, the first egg was laid on 19th May, so we certainly still have time....
  • But, if these fights continue, we may not get a successful brood from any pair....
  • I have to go to Wales now, but Anna will keep an eye on the roof and fill me in when I return - I wonder what I will return to.....?
  • One thing is for sure though - I won't be intervening again, as I rather think that at least one of aour adults is deliberately getting rid of the original eggs - maybe with a view to laying some herself...
  • Until Monday, grapple fans, when I hope to provide a large update, full of good news and new eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment