Monday 9 May 2011

Swift Half SWIFTS update - 9th May 2011

  • I've been after the clip I've just uploaded to my images site (clip number fifteen) for some time now.
  • I've only recently discovered swifts mate on the nest as well as in the air and I've been fortunate enough now to record mating in our roof!
  • The pair roosted shortly after 2000hrs last night (it can vary a lot at present, mainly I suspect due to weather and availability of prey) and after a little mutual preening, they mated four times in about nine minutes.
  • Swifts like most birds, mate by pressing their cloacae (or vents) together in what is known as a cloacal kiss - it doesn't last long - enough time for sperm to be transferred from cock to hen.
  • I'm very pleased I've managed to record this moment - its one thing to film swifts in the nest (never normally seen, unlike almost all other birds), but to record mating behaviour also - well thats  just a bonus!
  • EDIT - I've just checked the roof - our first egg was laid this morning (as they always tend to be). I wasn't recording at the time - giving the DVD recorder a morning off - but I'll get the next egg to be laid - I expect that not tomorrow, but the next day....

No comments:

Post a Comment