Wednesday 11 May 2011

Swift Half SWIFTS update - 11th May 2011

  • As I hoped - the second (of three I think) egg was laid this morning at about 0920hrs BST.
  • The seventeenth clip I've just uploaded onto my images site has recorded the actual moment.
  • For the first 25 seconds or so, you'll see the female at the back of the nest-space, appearing to *cough* strain at stool.
  • Then on about 32-33 seconds she lifts her belly off the floor of the nest, about a cm, and deposits said egg gently onto the floor. If you turn your computer's volume up to maximum, you'll hear the egg drop to the floor (as well as see it).
  • I haven't uploaded a long clip today - but I do note that the male was present at the laying (keeping out of the way in the entrance to the nest with a cigar no doubt) and the female brooded both eggs for a few minutes after laying (in fact she's been back a few times since also).
  • I certainly don't expect another egg tomorrow (Thursday) but I'm hoping for a third and final egg on Friday.
  • Each (if each is incubated - only two were last year) will take about 19-20 days before they hatch (expect wee swifts right at the end of May.... and watch this space!)

No comments:

Post a Comment