Saturday 30 April 2011

Swift Half update - 30th April 2011

  • Because of all the swift activity at Swift Half, I've not posted on other shenanigans round 'ere for a while - so this might make up for that.

  • All the marsh marigold flowers in the pond have dropped off now (apart from one!) Far from being a riot of yellow a week ago, its now just a riot of green leaves.
  • None of my pupae have "eclosed" yet - none of the moffs at all.
  • None of the BBC larvae have left the pond and transformed into beautiful adults yet.
  • Stiff northeast wind continues, but still NO rain - warm sunshine instead!
  • The palmate newts in the pond are still incredibly high in number - lots of males, quite a few much larger females and young of all sizes. I wouldn't be surprised if we have fifty palmate newts in the pond - possible more.
  • My favourite wasp of all (the "ruby (or jewel) -tailed wasp" posed beautifully for me on the kitchen wall yesterday - and I got a shot or two (please click photo above twice to enlarge). I rarely see these stunning, tiny insects at all -  and when I do, they invariably are always on the move, so incredibly difficult to take a photo of - so I'm very happy indeed that one stopped long enough for a wee photo session!
  • EDIT at 1820hrs - Our Broad bodied chaser dragonfly nymph (that I've been feeding very special food to for the last week....) has today become an adult! Photos on my images site, here!

No comments:

Post a Comment