Sunday 17 April 2011

Swift Half update - 17th April 2011

  • Another frog in the pond - making four in total now (two being this year's young from a nearby pond, colonising our little puddle I hope!)
  • But more great news from the pond is that I've seen and counted at least THREE dragonfly larvae - and not any old larvae - "broad-bodied chaser larvae". Apologies for the poor quality photo - not used to taking snaps of aquatic larvae in tumblers! (Click twice to enlarge anyway, if you like).
  • This is what the less than classically-beautiful larvae will turn into eventually.
  • These larvae will have been at the bottom of our pond for at least one year, possibly two (I've certainly seen BBCs perching near the pond occasionally over the past two years - but I didnt notice any ovipositing going on.
  • Really good news (they're my favourite dragonfly and my elder sisters) and I've popped some branches in the pond for the larvae to climb up, should they feel the desire to turn into adults this year...
  • I may have seen three, but I'm hoping even my bionic eyes have missed MANY more lurking in amongst the blanket weed at the bottom of our little pond!
  • First Brimstone moth of the year last night, attracted to the moff trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment