Saturday 23 April 2011

Swift Half SWIFT news - 23rd April 2011

  • STOP PRESS!
  • At 08:30 hrs this morning I started to record the inside of our roof again -empty since the end of July last year. I still had not seen ANY swift on the wing in Britain since last summer. (I still havent!)
  • Just before Anna and I left for our saturday volunteering at a local nature reserve, Anna checked the television and lo and behold - an adult swift was IN THE ROOF!
  • I didn't see it arrive (in the sky) and I still have not seen ANY swifts in the sky - please bear in mind I rate my eyesight pretty highly - especially where swifts are concerned!
  • So..... we have one swift in our roof (although it has left the space for the time being -as I write this).
  • We are convinced its one of last year's adults - it knew exactly what it was doing when it returned, quite obviously. It didnt fly about the area, "doing a recce" -it has come up from South Africa and gone straight into our roof - no messing.
  • Is it the male? Is it the female? Who knows?
  • Will it return tonight? Will it be with a mate? Who knows?
  • Why have I not seen any swifts at all in the sky this year? Who knows?! (Although I have my suspicions about that - I'll post on that later).
  • Anyway - I predicted they'd be back on St.George's day, before christmas - and thanks to the incredible weather and a lorra luck, I was spot on!
  • Welcome home swifts - I hope this season sees you well.
  • Video - here (on this site) and on my "dmackdimages" site.
  • Awooga!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment