Tuesday 25 January 2011

Swift Half update - 25th January 2011

  • Firstly - pond news.
  • We certainly have adult palmate newts in the pond (I've seen both male and female at night, with a torch) - so thats good! Neither the heron nor cats have caught all our palmate newts!
  • But - and here's something I've learned today. We also have larval newts - in JANUARY!
  • It turns out that occasionally, newts will over-winter in ponds as aquatic, feathery-gilled larvae - and that's what has happened in our pond - clearly!
  • I assume our palmate newt larvae will develop in the spring and summer, lose their feathery gills and walk onto land - they then will be known as "efts".
  • Never knew that before!
  • Secondly - Swift Half swift news (or plans I should say).
  • This year -instead of broadcasting a live webfeed onto the internet (like last year) (if we're lucky enough to get swifts back in the roof), I intend to produce regular HD short video clips (with sound) and put them onto my youtube account (and embed them, or a link to them on this blog).
  • This decision was primarily because the quality of webfeed last year was pretty atrocious. Whereas Anna and I could make out every detail of each swift, every feather, every dropping, every tiny chick -when we viewed via the web feed (rather than our tv) - everything was just a blurry smudge - with no sound at all.
  • Anna and I were treated to A LOT of sound from inside the nest all summer - the female screaming at the male when he arrived at dusk, the youngsters purring for food -and the webfeed didn't give you any of that.
  • SOoooo - I've tested a video suite today (results on facebook) and am very excited to see that it all works nicely. Decision made then - no webfeed this year, just short, high quality clips (maybe every day - certainly very regular) of our swifts - which should improve your viewing of them!
  • Now all we need is a lorra luck - I expect our beautiful swifts back on St.George's day or very shortly after. Not long now. Plllease don't let me down swifts!

2 comments:

  1. wondering if the vidclips will be as a linked like your visitor links on your side menu?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably embed them Al, but my youtube channel is constantly visible at the bottom of my homepage anyway...
    Cheers! Doug

    ReplyDelete