Tuesday 11 January 2011

Swift Half update - 11th January 2011

  • Those of you who have followed this blog since the start (or know a little about me) might know that I am a big bee fan - specifically mason bees.
  • Since moving to Reading from London with Anna, I have catered for solitary mason bees (including my favourite wee species of all - the blue mason bee) by drilling nesting holes in dead branches or fence posts in my last two gardens.
  • I've been pretty successful - especially last summer, when eighteen of my drilled holes were taken over by my little bees. In fact, as I drilled my latest log in the middle of April, a couple of red mason bees checked out my bee holes even as I was drilling! Quite incredible!
  • Bad news today though - all through the severe (cold) weather throughout December, each bee hole was tightly plugged - until I checked today...
  • THIRTEEN of the eighteen nests have been emptied!
  • The holes in the plugs are neat, small and look like they've been raided from the outside in (rather than the bee emerging from the inside out).
  • I've contacted an old contact of mine and a local expert at BWARS -and he has pretty-well confirmed my worst fears - these bees should not be emerging before March at the earliest - SOMETHING has got them!
  • Could it be a bird - possibly - a wren or a tit maybe? (Not that I've noticed though).
  • Could it be an insect? I doubt it -in the middle of winter?
  • Could it be a rodent? Possibly -but the holes are too small for rodents I think?
  • Could it be Henry, the mild-mannered janitor.... coooooould bee!
  • In all seriousness - this is a bit of a downer - most of the plugs left were made by red mason bees - the raided nests are mainly my favourite wee blue mason bees.
  • Bad news - and a lesson to me, to pop the logs in the shed over winter next time....

NB. All photos linked to (green text) taken by myself.

2 comments:

  1. Bad news - but really interesting to read about the mason bees. Luckily our garden mason bees nest in the house walls - so harder to raid (I hope!). Will be interesting to see if raiding affects the number of bees hatching this spring/summer. Spring... just the thought of it makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane. (that reminds me -I've not had any time to check out UE lately - must make amends!)
    "Spring - just the thought of it makes me smile!" I agree absolutely! I'll miss my wigeon and goldeneye, but ROLL on April and SWIFTS!!!!

    Thanks to Stuart also for helping me out with this bee tragedy today.

    ReplyDelete