Wednesday 12 January 2011

General (county) update - 12th January 2011

  • A quickie - Reading now has many waxwings in town - this is the best year I have ever known for these winter visitors (normally you get the odd flock on the east coast but this year there are hundreds EVERYWHERE)!
  • I cycled up to a berry bush by work today, after being tipped off there were fifty or so of these wonderful birds there yesterday.
  • True to form, they'd stripped ALL the berries off the trees and moved on to another part of central Reading.
  • I STILL have yet to see a waxwing in moy loyf!
  • Note to self- when we (Anna and I) buy our own home eventually - add berry tree (rowan, holly, whatever) to the moff plants. It may take another 40 years for these birds to come back to the UK in these numbers, but even if I don't manage to see any this winter - I'll be ready for them in forty years time!!!

2 comments:

  1. the waxwings REALLY like the holly trees...(I planted several when I bought my 5 acres)... they also like the mulberry I planted and of course my blueberries...in fact, a mini boom of blueberry growers have made my part of Florida home. they use all sorts of clever devices to keep these pirates off the the berries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Al - I'll remember that if Anna and I get to buying an land! Though I'll not let any waxwing NEAR any of my blueberries!!!

    ReplyDelete