Sunday 14 November 2010

General (County) update - 14th November 2010





  • Up miles before dawn again (about 3am) and drove through pea-souper fog (caused by an almighty temperature inversion overnight) to the ridgeway, to see if I could get a few shots of a few things.

  • As I drove into the carpark at the top of the ridgeway (emerging out of the fog into clear skies) my foglights picked out maybe around two dozen grey partridge - very nice to see.

  • I managed to find a short-eared owl, sheltering in a pine tree - I'm so glad they're back - maybe I'll try and get a nice photo of our short-eared owls this winter...

  • Other highlights - loads of corn bunting, a couple of buzzards and kestrels, a few redpoll and the most grey partridge I've ever seen - I must have counted three or four dozen during my walk.

  • It was a glorious dawn - the ridgeway to myself, the pea-soup fog below but sun in my eyes - it was rather like flying and looking down on clouds from a plane, for a time.

  • Some photos are posted here (Including one of 14 flying grey partridge), but my two favourite photos are posted in large sizes on my images website.
  • NB. The first photo is of Didcot Power Station cooling towers just peeping through the fog, by the way.

2 comments:

  1. really like the partridge image... minimalist, very picturesque.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Al. Its nice to see these birds - they're not doing so well in the UK these days...

    ReplyDelete