Sunday 4 July 2010

General (county) news - 4th July 2010

  • I set the moff trap up in Mr.T's (our neighbour bar one) garden last night and we had a reasonable hawl at dawn this morning, with a scalloped oak moth being my highlight. The night before that I had a wonderful hawl at the rear (rear) garden - catching huge numbers of moffs, including my third elephant hawkmoth and my first scarlet tiger moth. When we used to live near the river (other side of town) I used to trip over these striking day-flying moths, but not so much three miles south - so its grand to see one again.
  • A walk along the river at dawn this morning confirmed that we have a pair of otters in the "secret river" not a mile away from the house! Certain sightings near the weir by a very credible source - looks like I might have to do some night time recces pretty soon! VERY good news though - maybe Anna will get a chance to see her favourite animal of all?!
  • Plenty of demoiselles and damselflies everywhere but I'm still struggling to see many big dragons - a southern hawker on a bike ride this morning but thats all.

SCARLET TIGER

2 comments:

  1. Great news on the Otter mate. I`ll be keeping my fingers crossed you get some sightings :-)
    Apart from yesterdays outing, I`ve seen more larger dragonfly species (for the time of year)than previous years, and some species such as Black Tailed Skimmers are becoming much more widespread around our area...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks pal. Now there's just the little matter of finding a day where I can get up at 3am and not have to work afterwards. (to try and see the otters). Has to be done before September, as they're turning the whole area into a wildlife reserve (diggers, river re-chanelling etc...) and that will scare the otters off for sure...

    ReplyDelete