Friday 4 June 2010

Swift half news - 4th June 2010

  • After watching the swifts fly in and out of their nest entrance hole today (from outside) its become crystal clear that sparrows are nesting in the space too.
  • I saw both male and female house sparrows fly in and out of the same hole, and remove faecal sacs from young - and fly away with them. Not only that, but I heard the young "peeping" when I listened carefully!
  • I have no idea just whereabouts the sparrows are nesting in the hole -maybe there's more room in there than I thought - maybe there's a tunnel of sorts to the left (the swifts are using the right tunnel thats for sure).
  • Anyway - no doubt about it - that particular space in the attic is being used for nesting by house sparrows AND swifts. I wonder if and when any swiftlets hatch, there might be trouble at mill...
  • Tonight I managed to catch my favourite moth of all (and my eldest sister's I think) -a beautiful Elephant Hawk Moth. See more on this moth at my flickr site...

ELEPHANT HAWKMOTH (3)

No comments:

Post a Comment