Sunday 5 December 2010

Swift Half update - 5th December 2010



  • This blog is becoming a bit of a "hen update" right now, but needs must, I s'pose.

  • We all saw the sun for the first time in what feels like months today - once the murk cleared at lunch, we were left with a glorious blue sky and a VERY cold night to come I guess.

  • I took the opportunity to get the girls out into the garden and its clear that Cutters is still struggling - Conker kept picking on her incessantly and Cutters has no strength to run away - she just falls over, exposing her head - which is like a red rag to a bull for chickens.

  • Conker eventually drew blood - and thats even worse -when a chicken sees blood -it doesn't stop pecking.

  • Couven though seems to be asserting her dominance, at least over the (now "eeeevil") Conker - chasing her around constantly and pecking her on the back of the head. Unlike Cutlery though, when Conker comes in for a bit of bullying, she can run away. Which she does.

  • So, far from Couven being the subordinate hen of the flock, she's on a par with trouble at least and much more dominant than Conker. Cutlery is quite rightly (I'm afraid), bottom of the pile.

  • I rather think we've named "Trouble" quite badly, as nowadays she's quite easily the least trouble of them all - Cutlery is sick and very henpecked (vaseline all over her bloody comb), Conker is constantly standing on Cutlery and really pecking her hard, Couvster is chasing Conker around as a priority "to do", and giving her pretty nasty nips -and Trouble... just getting on with life, laying, eating -no bother at all!

  • The other slight concern I've got is that Couven has seen the blood on Cutlery's battered comb and is pecking at that also.

  • Do I give Cutters any chance at all now? Not much to be fair - she still can't jump onto the ramp up to bed and spends most of the day away from the flock, hiding. She was a little better today (a slightly more vigorous attempt at ruffling her feathers and scratching for food) but unless she is allowed to eat A LOT - she won't build herself up and quickly die in these cold temperatures I think.

  • I was gonnae separate the girls again tomorrow, but I'll let nature take its course - I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Cutlery on her belly tomorrow, covered in blood. I hope not of course - and I hope Couvster keeps Conker away from her.

  • She desperately needs to eat loads and drink LOADS (which I've not seen her do for some time) to get her strength up. Or she's doomed I feel.

  • Its like a blummin soap opera here at Swift half!

  • Other hen highlight today was when Trouble got scared by a half hidden neighbours' tabby cat. She screeched and lept about 5 foot in the air - flying as only chickens know how, to land on the pond. Just as well the pond is under about 3 inches of ice eh?

  • Anyhoo.... crossing my fingers for tomorrow - the first day that all four chickens are locked in the coop until 1pm (when Mr.T comes 'round to release the Kraken, sorry hens).

  • Will Cutlery get knocked over and pecked to death by Conker?

  • Will Couven draw blood from Conker (they do NOT get on!)

  • Will Couven be able to leave Cutlery's bloody comb alone (and not make it worse).

  • Will Trouble give a hoot about any of all this?

  • I'll see tomorrow, after work...
  • By the way - I'm pretty sure Conker laid her first egg today. (Unless Trouble laid two...)

Photo above is of the once darling (now eeeeevil) Conker, in the low sun this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. As you may remember I kept (hardly the right term), chickens for many years... several different varieties and of course the roosters, which were originally Rhode Island Reds, bred with all the hens and the offspring were all mixed. The soap opera factor is half the fun... most of the problems I had came from outside... (every thing likes chicken). Hawks, possum, fox and especially the best bandits... raccoons! even though I buried chicken wire around their roost and nesting area, (including over the top), the raccoons were superior poachers. I also once had a stray Dachshund kill 12 chickens, but, didn't even eat one.. just a frenzied killing spree. I caught it trapped in the cage with feathers in its mouth. So, after this long narrative...my comment is thanks for sharing the updates on your girls... I miss the chicken opera and this fills in nicely, (without the late night poacher wake-ups). By the way while thinking of your book, I came across another Flickr friend who shared his themed book and and remembered that you were going to the theme idea for your next work...(he's from your part of the world too...). http://issuu.com/stephencotterell/docs/project12

    have a great week!

    ReplyDelete