Sunday 19 December 2010

General (County) update - 19th December 2010

  • The chill continues with the snow not thawing at all today - but still managed a productive walk at dawn, at a local site.
  • Firstly, I'm very happy to say that we (myself and Mr.T) heard our barn owl near it's box. Happy to say this for a number of reasons - firstly I've learned today that already in December, 54 barn owls have been reported as found dead over England and Wales since December 1st - almost certainly because of the cold weather. That is a staggering number, gleaned because the barn owl very probably is the most monitored bird in Britain, thanks to the BTO.
  • Last year in December (mainly at the end of December due to the snow again - remember?!) 39 barn owls were reported dead in the month - and I thought that was quite high.
  • If the snow and cold temperatures do not disappear, the BTO think that there could be 100+ reported dead this December - and bear in mind this is just those that have been reported (the tiniest minority).
  • Last winter (the heaviest snow came in January remember) many of our barn owls died, and virtually all bred late. They didn't have a bad breeding season (barn owl breeding success correlates directly with vole boom and bust population cycles), but overall, winter to winter (09-10) was not good for these super birds.
  • In case you were not aware (I can't remember whether I've mentioned before or not), the barn owl is at its most northerly extent of its range in the UK. They simply are not built for cold climates, frosts and snow. They really are a central, lowland European bird and suffer greatly in some of our more "harsh" winters. I was lucky enough to see the most northerly barn owl nest in the world when I was a lad - near Inverness in Scotland. Well, it was at the time, anyway.
  • So.... it IS great news that we at least heard our owl this morning - it survives for now. I'll keep checking when I can.
  • Secondly (in terms of our productive walk), Mr.T and I had great fun tracking a healthy population of foxes,rabbits and deer (muntjac and roe) by their tracks this morning - a lot of fun!
  • Thirdly - I've noticed some winter ducks overnight on local brooks and rivers, rather than lakes which are freezing up quickly. Tufted ducks this morning on the kennet (lovely birds) and on the foudry brook during the week. The large local lakes are unfrozen in the middle, but when you have 500 wigeon, 300 gadwall, loads of canada geese, swans and mallard, not to mention a few dozen teal and shoveler, all crammed into the tiniest bit of unfrozen water -its not just the owls that are suffering!
  • Fourthly -and just as exciting as the owl (at least for me) we got some fantastic views of a water rail on the ice near southcote lock this morning. One of my favourite wee birds - a real subtle belter - and so rarely seen - until it freezes.
  • I've been walking 'round rivers and lakes for nigh on 35 years now -and up until a fortnight ago, had only ever seen ONE water rail (near tring in hertfordshire). These beautiful birds tend to hide themselves in deep reed beds - you might hear one, but a sighting is a rare thing.
  • They're described on the RSPB site as "fairly common". I would disagree I'm afraid - maybe around 1000 breeding pairs in the UK in summer. Not what I would call common! Widely but thinly distributed maybe I would agree though. Barn owls (often described as "rare" ) have maybe 5000 breeding pairs in the UK- thats 5 times as many as water rails.
  • But the last few walks at our local wetlands have produced only my second and third sightings ever - and today's view was my best of all three - the little thing was scampering around on the ice - desperately looking for grub I expect. Anyway, a real treat for both me and Mr.T.
  • Other points of interest locally - waxwings are now in the area. Almost always a winter visitor to the east primarily, they're being reported in the west of the country now n all. I can't remember a "better" year for waxwings in the UK.
  • The cold weather is also throwing up surprises and "firsts" in gardens all around the county - waxwings (above) and wagtails (like Swift half below) are dropping into gardens all over the shop, as are the rose-ringed parakeets (mentioned last weekend).
  • The cold weather is also the reason behind many, many sightings of bitterns at their local inter stomping grounds. Rather like water rails, these beautiful herons are a bugger to see - remaining very stoically deep in reed beds. But with all the ice around, they are skating into the open and being forced to come into contact with other bitterns -not their favourite way to spend their time! I know of at least two locals who are dropping sardines for them, to supplement their diet, which because of the ice, is very hard to come by right now...
  • I'll try and get my boat up and running in the new year, to hunt my goldeneye and wigeon -and also try and get a shot of our short-eared owls.

No comments:

Post a Comment