Friday 8 October 2010

Swift Half Update - 8th October 2010

  • The low pressure system deepens to the west of the UK still, but we are now heading into a sunny period of weather - and pretty warm for mid October!

  • After posting photographs here of a peregrine over the garden, I thought I'd post one today of one of our hawks. We have a pair, but its generally the (larger, more drab) female I see, so it was a pleasure to see the (smaller, orange breasted) male over the garden yesterday afternoon. Actually the female was around too, later in the day. Like the peregrine photos, the photo of the hawk is not particularly wonderful -it was pretty high up by the time I found my camera.

  • Last night (and right now, as it 'appens) I heard the first winter Redwing fly over the garden at height, making their distinctive night-time navigation peeping calls. I think this is the earliest I've ever heard them down here - October 7th. Winter - it comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment