Sunday 12 December 2010

Swift Half update - 12th December 2010

  • I'll not post a long hen-related update regarding the end of Cutlery as originally planned a week ago - just a few points.
  • Cutlery was always my favourite of our hens and I miss her more than I ever thought I would.
  • On monday I had to act to end any further suffering on her part. Her staggered re-introduction to the flock was going quite well but I returned from work that day (after hearing from our neighbour that she was in fine form when he popped 'round to thaw their water) to find her in much distress.
  • Trouble (our new black hen) had taken most of the feathers from her head, she was bleeding profusely and could not defend herself or run away.
  • I separated all hens immediately and Cutlery was taken inside, in her "sick box".
  • She reacted well, was eating manically and talking to me constantly.
  • I then had to make a very cold, clinical choice - a choice that I couldn't make easily. I paced around the garden for a few minutes (about 20) and realised the only way I could even make a decision as to whether to kill her or not was to close down completely and just do it.
  • I put my ipod on and made sure I couldn't hear anything other than music in my ears, said one short goodbye to the poor Cutters, and quickly dispatched her.
  • The end was quick for her, less so for me.
  • At least my little Cutlery is out of her misery now - thanks to anyone who has given me emails / facebook comments etc of commiserations.
  • As for the rest of the hens - Couven had decided to 'av a pop' at Conker whenever she can. so I've resorted to "scarper" to sort this out. Seems to be working quite well.
  • Both Trouble and Conker are laying well - Anna and I had some lovely scrambled eggs from them for breakfast yesterday - all the hens are eating their pellets well (unlike Couven and Cutlery who always hung on for their treats), and the bedtime spots have been cemented in the coop.
  • Like I say, both Anna and I will miss Cutters, but it is nice to see three healthy hens scrabbling around the garden again, rather than two - one of which obviously is in a little trouble.
  • Anna and I have learned an awful lot about hens over the last two years - especially health problems of hens - generally hens are problem free and ideal pets, but occasionally problems arise - and one has to be prepared to do things which are quite difficult to do - and do them quickly.
  • As for other Swift Half news - Yala (our female cat) is recovering well from an abscess draining operation and is now (after 9 days) out of her Elizabethan ruff collar. Her stitches her out, her drain has sealed, but we'll not let her outside until we KNOW she's 100%.
  • All fun and games this year at "Swift Half"!

No comments:

Post a Comment