Wednesday 1 September 2010

Swift Half update - 1st September 2010

  • You'll note that I'm updating here less and less since my beloved swifts have left.That said, I've seen the odd swallow and house martin in the skies above the garden over the past few days.
  • Malu has chased one of this years fox cubs (more like a lanky fox teenager now - very "boingy" and in very good nick) off the hen's coop TWICE this week. I'm very proud of little Malu!
  • Other visitors to the garden in this sunny, warm week were two migrant hawker dragonflies (photos on flickr), a few "Old ladies" (moths) and a few "Yellow underwing" (moths again) - seems like the chilly, clear nights are favouring the larger moffs right now.
  • We have what looks like a red admiral chrysalis on the large shed. Strange as ALL red admiral chrysalises are normally in a "nettle-leaf tent" - but I saw the caterpillar that produced the chrysalis, and it did look like a red admiral (albeit strangely coloured). I'll keep an eye on it. Photos on flickr
  • The jays are back collecting their peanuts from the bird table - but the woodpeckers I've yet to attract back (but I have no doubt at all that they'll be back when it gets a little colder).
  • Huge numbers of squash bugs are in the rear (rear) garden as well as a new species for me - a cinnamon bug, normally found in southern sandy coastlands, but moving north rapidly. Nice to see though.
  • Plenty of pears to pick from the trees this weekend, as well as our huge crop of football-sized potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment