Saturday 25 September 2010

General (County) update - 25th September 2010

  • I was up before dawn again this morning, on the hunt for otters, kingfishers and barn owls.
  • Well - no otter (or mink), no barn owls and the kingfisher didn't even take to his perch for me, but I had a lovely morning under clear skies and a crisp northerly wind.
  • Yet again I saw more swallows heading west -maybe a dozen or so, very low over the river - SURELY thats it for the swallows now (although I do hear that vast flocks of them and martins are being seen migrating through the county even this late in September).
  • Also saw a huge winter flock of goldfinch (maybe 6 or 7 dozen strong) - a sure sign that its getting colder when the finches form these giant winter flocks.
  • Did watch a young fox sunbathe for 30 minutes on the other side of the kingfisher pool -which was very nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment