Tuesday 24 August 2010

Summer Holiday - Kefalonia - the return odyssey

YIA MAS KEFALONIA!


  • Anna and I first travelled to Kefalonia in the summer of 2007 - and it was then that I proposed to her, on the quite stunning Myrtos beach, on August 4th, three years ago.
  • Three years on and quite a lot has happened to us in that time. I've lost my mother and my stepfather, I've gained another job in my place of work (after being made redundant once), I've bought a couple of cameras and got into photography (the last time I was out in Greece I was taking photos with a mobile phone) and Anna and I have been married now for two years!
  • If you want to see my photographs (and accompanying text) from our two sun-drenched weeks on the beautiful island of Kefalonia - then please click HERE to be transported to my flickr "Kefalonia -the return odyssey" set. Accompanying text to each photo can be brought up by pressing "info".
  • Before you disappear to flickr though - some Kefalonian highlights for myself and Anna in the form of a list...
  • Lots of very close up views of wild adult Loggerhead Turtles in the sea (photos)
  • Short-toed Eagle (photo)
  • Little Owl to within twelve foot of me (no photo unfortunately)
  • Flock of a few dozen Alpine Swift through our high balcony (no photos unfortunately)
  • Two beautiful stripey geckos on our studio walls.
  • Dolphins playing in the bay below our studio (WHAT a view from our balcony!)
  • Buzzards, Lanner Falcons, Hawks, skinks and lizards (no published photos)
  • Swallows, martins and red-rumped swallows all day long over our balcony (photos)
  • Glorious sunsets (photos)
  • Not a cloud in the sky for two weeks (apart from one hour at Myrtos)!
  • 35c all week!
  • Fantastic food - especially the fresh fish, village sausage and skordalia.
  • The Mythos (beer) and Ouzo wasn't too bad either!
  • Third in the first quiz at a local taverna and fourth at the second (not too bad!)
  • Silver-toothed goats all over the place (no photos)
  • A return to our favourite beach - Myrtos - one of the most beautiful in the world!
  • A summit conquered - Mt.Ainos - over 1000ft higher than Ben Nevis.

  • All in all, a wonderful holiday and we may not go back to Kefalonia for a few decades (if at all now). Yiamas to everyone out there who made our return odyssey so special.

2 comments: