Friday 30 April 2010

Swift half news - 30th April 2010

  • No swift egg in the roof yet - Anna and I have had a little wager on this - I predict May 4th and Anna says May 6th will produce first egg. Anna may be closer to the mark looking at the weather forecast for this weekend!
  • My red mason bees are incredibly busy filling the bee-post holes with bright yellow pollen, laying eggs and bricking the drilled holes up with mud (lifted from our watered potato patch!) One hole has already been sealed by a red mason bee, three others are stained bright yellow inside and I guess will be sealed soon enough (complete with egg). Slightly worried about the torrential showers forecast for this saturday evening - I'll have to make sure the bee posts are sheltered.
  • Very low, pale buzzard over the garden this afternoon, mobbed by the sentry crows of course.
  • Male blackcap (warbler) in the garden yesterday.
  • No damselflies seen as yet - very late now!
  • The hen blackbird is back on the nest in the honeysuckle! I'll have a peep over the long bank holiday weekend to see if she's laid more eggs (2 at last count a few days ago - after I thought she'd abandoned).
  • First Brimstone moth (photo of a brimstone moth at our old gaff) appeared at kitchen window tonight (didn't even set moth trap up!)

1 comment:

  1. Just had a very quick count of blackbird eggs. Four now. That might be all the eggs and I still think with the kittens around, the young are doomed I'm afraid...

    ReplyDelete