Sunday 25 April 2010

Swift half news - 25th April 2010




  • Went for a long drive at dawn this morning to give my little car's battery a boost and as soon as I turned her over, the heavens opened for the first time in about a month. We desperately need the rain - I have a feeling April 2010 may go down as the second dryest for a long time (I'm pretty sure April 2007 was the record-breaker - if I remember correctly, we didn't see a cloud for 4 weeks here in central England and the daytime temperature was always around 21c).

  • Pear blossom almost over.

  • Damson blossom over.

  • 11 mason bees in my bee post (including two blue mason bees - male and female).

  • Blackbird determined to nest in our honeysuckle, despite both Yala and Malu (our kittens) watching her every move - I'm afraid that nest is almost certainly doomed.

  • Damson trees with good leaf growth now.

  • I haven't mentioned it yet I don't think, but our robins abandoned their shed nest some time ago (the cats put them off I think) and also their front garden nest I think -sensible robins - they'll find somewhere safer to nest I'm sure.

  • I will try to get the video from the swift space in the roof connected to the computer (rather than our portable tv) so any interested parties can watch our swifts 24 hours a day if they so wish. This may take a little time for this technophobe, but please watch this space and be patient!




No comments:

Post a Comment